Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Erratum

(or Why I'm Not A Reporter)

I've been putting off getting back to this. In fact I really didn't want to come back at all. Because I knew I would have to acknowledge an error. I hate doing that.

It turns out that the lady in the previous post did NOT accept the FEMA card as payment. I wondered about that. I wondered if that would even be legal. I asked questions and tried to get all the pieces right when the story was being told. And I still got it wrong. Which is why I should stick to writing only from personal experience... because every retelling introduces the possibility of distortion. You know--the old story whispered around a circle thing? Where it comes back to the original teller unrecognizable? Somehow I must have undergone a brain fade. As far as I'm concerned this makes the story better and it's how I wanted it to be the first time. But I was trying to get it right.

I had some more wanderings for today. I wanted to say something about how all of a sudden you see the car makers advertising their 30-mpg models. Which, except for the fact that my 350ci 1/2-ton beast does half of that, means very little to me. We could do 40+ years ago. Does this whole thing with the major price hikes and rush to fuel-efficient vehicles seem familiar to you. Or are you old enough? Which is not to say I don't believe that our resources are finite. I've felt that we've needed to manage these better for years (the fact that I'm driving under V8 power is accidental--ask anyone, I'm an old tree-huggin' fool). It just seems funny is all. There's always ways for our largest corporations to thrive when everything seems to be going south.

Like I said, I had more "telling" to do today. But this apology just took everything out of me...

1 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo...dude.Ma tells me its 75.00 friggin dollars for a state inspection.all this money goin to funds for the oil companys pollution credits.Wait!Hybrid...THINK hybrid.
Think...um, going to another country,yeah.I'm ready.Holland I think!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home