Sunday, December 25, 2005

Traditional In A New Way

It's officially Christmas day now and I have "The Christmas Story" providing my background as I write. I don't know that I've ever watched a movie as many times as I have this one. Not watched through and through although I've done that too. But every year TBS seems to run a 24-hour marathon featuring this movie and I'll let it play on between naps and anything else I happen to be doing. It's just a classic and one of those few flicks I can stand to watch more than twice.

Christmas has traditionally been a rather depressing time for me, especially the lean years when I haven't had the funds to give proper gifts. But when I reflect on past Christmas days many fond memories roll in and most of them are from a youth that was immersed in a culture that almost seems alien now. There was the anticipation and exuberance brought on by the Santa of course. But the 'reason' for Christmas was strongly stressed in my childhood. On those occasions when we were allowed to open a gift or two on Christmas eve, we first had to endure another reading from the Bible, retelling what we heard countless times in the weeks leading up to the big day.

Not that this was a bad thing. Now, more than ever, I can appreciate the wisdom and values that my parents tried to instill in us. And I treasure all the old pre-Christmas services as well. What I miss these days more than ever is the old candlelight program that the choir put on every year. With the lights dimmed, the entire evening was focused on the music. "Carol Of The Bells" is one that I can recall at any instant; others strike a chord when I hear them but I would be hard-pressed to name many of them. Of course, when I was still a kid, I was more interested in the little paper lunch sack that were handed out as we left--it would include an orange, maybe an apple, walnuts, and a modicum of candy (probably Kisses or Tootsie Rolls).

Which finally brings us to tonight's sermon. I was working earlier and the TV behind me was doing its mindless thing when I started hearing a bunch of Christmas hymns. Being the bright guy that I am, I figured that it was a local church production. Some of the songs were a little jazzed up, some even seemed a little butchered, but oh well... many music directors these days try to spice things up and update traditional music to fit with today's tastes. Maybe appeal better to youth. So give it your best shot people.

I finally decided to sit down though and see who it was. And it was no choir. It was glam shots of celebrities, many celebrities, and seemed to be taken at some award ceremony (or ceremonies...I forget which... I'm not good at keeping up with those events). But these stars were posing, preening for cameras and generally indulging a public that can't get enough of them. And I thought at that moment it was the most revolting display of misplaced values that I've ever seen. Talk about celebrity worship, talk about your idols and false gods. Of course I know that it's not right to blame the famous. It's not even right to blame the producers and TV people. All they do is try to satiate the appetite of a giant mindless mass. But it's numbing just the same

Now I know God has a sense of humor so I don't know: you think he can laugh at this? If I were Him I'd be pissed. And I'd be thinking "This is just about enough...it may be time to wrap things up".

1 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That movie is on this very moment,as in every minute of the last day! It is good though!
Merry Christmas dude....and 'turn it on' *wink*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home